Thursday, December 29, 2011

hello again, my old friend.


So, I honestly haven't even been so much as reminded of the existence of this blog in several months. Every once in a while, it would dawn on me that it was still here, neglected, after all this time. Unfortunately, I don't have a better excuse other than the fact that we couldn't get even semi-high speed internet out here in the countryside until...today, actually. I had internet access at the radio station where Blake works, but as he still doesn't exactly know that I used to write on an online blog every once in a blue moon, I never really found the time to try and sneak a post here and there. I don't really feel sorry.

A lot has changed since...July? June? I can't remember. At the time, I believe I was working for a chain steakhouse. I quit just around the time of my last post, and started working for FedEx customer service just a few weeks later. Oh goodness, those were the days. It was nice making over a thousand a month (woo yay upper lower class jobs!), but sitting at a desk from 9-5 day in and day out, on the phones nonstop to people who would jump at the chance to yell at me for thirty minutes over something that I didn't even do (lady - you're in Michigan. I didn't deliver your package, and no, I don't know the driver who did. Please stop calling me a bitch...please) pretty much drove me crazy. So one day, it dawned on me. I shouldn't have to waste away my life doing shit work that makes me want to kill myself. Life is far too short to do anything but something that makes you happy. So I walked out, and I never looked back. This was in October, mind you.

The Occupy Wall Street protests had just started up around that time, and we were interested in joining one. Quitting my job was the spark that made us think about it more. We planned to actually move to the Big Apple two weeks after I quit, but those plans were pushed back to early December, then those plans were pushed back to "early Spring-ish," and now they've fallen through completely. Turns out my boyfriend is more of a homebody than I thought (no matter how much I'd like to think). True, he's not Dan. Dan will never, ever leave his mother's house in country bumpkin Blum, and that just didn't settle well with me. Blake and I, homebody though he may be, actually WILL be leaving New Boston some time soon. We're just not moving to the metropolis that is New York City. :[

So anyway, since Blake detests the idea of working, and I'd rather just work instead of making him miserable for a few hours every day, I decided to apply at Gamestop. Luckily, I was friends with the employees at the only store that was hiring after visiting them so many times, and was pretty much hired on the spot. Most of us were eventually transferred over to the mall (ugh!) which is where we are today. I adore my job, surprisingly. It's retail, and it's mall retail, which is hell inside of hell central, but I genuinely enjoy the days when I get to wake up and head into work. Sure, I've gotten some strange looks (this is conservative Texarkana, after all, and girls like me are usually thought to shriek in horror at the sight of a video game, but, well, there you have it), but as one of pretty much only two employees who actually are avid gamers, most of the time people will look to me for opinions. It makes me feel important, I know.

And now we come to the present. Some (seriously) life-changing things have happened since my last post, some my readers may know about (do I even have readers anymore? Did I EVER have readers? HAHAHAHAHA), some may not. I may discuss it in the future. It's not really a "sensitive" topic anymore, but it is a long story, and the drama isn't exactly over with yet. We have to wait until February for that plotline to (hopefully) finish up. Secret: there's babies involved, and I'm not even pregnant!

Until next time (and, if you ARE reading this, I promise, there will be a next time, and soon).


No comments:

Post a Comment