Wednesday, January 11, 2012

i honestly can't think of a title.


So I have good news and blah news. We'll start with the blah news first. Blah news is that (despite my admittedly rather perfect immune system in which I rarely get sick, even with the most minor of colds) Blake has somehow managed to infect me with his respiratory whatever-you-want-to-call-it, so now I'm stuck here on the couch with a rather nasty bout of the sniffles. Which means I probably won't be able to go out tonight with my boss and co-workers as I had originally planned. ;[ Well...I may go anyway. I'm not feeling THAT bad, after all.

Good news is my 22nd birthday is next week!! ! !!! And I'm doing pretty much nothing for it (as far as I know). That's ok though. The REAL good news is that the day BEFORE my birthday, Blake and I will be headed to Shreveport to take his GRE! Finally, my boy has decided what he wants to do with his life, and what he wants to do with his life is go back to school. And stay at school. Yes, my dear Mr. Gardner has decided to become a professor. A professor of Anthropology (and probably a particular field of anthropology - he likes the idea of ethnobotany, but really just isn't sure, which is why he's going to grad school in the first place).

We've chosen Ole Miss as our alma mater. Blake is a fourth generation student (his great-grandfather, grandfather, and aunt are all graduates of the prestigious party institution), and as such, it will be rather exceptionally easy for him (and myself) to get in. It's in the South, it's fairly close to home (and actually inbetween his family and mine, as mine relocated to Florida last spring), and it's academically accredited enough to our standards. We think it'll be a good fit. Now for the financial aid part.

Which brings me to my next matter of discussion: we're getting married. And potentially really soon. In fact, we've even set on a date of elopement: March 20th. Neither of us are pagan-y or anything, but the first day of Spring sounds awfully perfect. We like the idea of actually getting married to be a more private thing, just the two of us. Of course, we'll eventually have a real wedding for our families (and me - I gotta admit, I've always had wedding plans in mind since I was...in the womb), but the actual official-ness of signing documents and being married should be shared just between the two of us. The timing is pretty much perfect, because we'll be applying for financial aid after we get married, and it'll be a little more than easy to get the help we need if we're legally tied to each other.

I never really thought I'd be married so young (I'll only be 22, after all, compared to Blake's 24 this summer), but in retrospect, I think it's the best time. It's hard to believe that I'll have been broken up with my ex for two years this fall. It seems like only yesterday when I gave the phone call that ended everything. I'd promised my life, my future to this guy, and looking back, I can't believe I ever actually let myself do something like that. This time around, we've promised nothing but today, and the hope of tomorrow. Yeah yeah, it sounds cheesy, but I've had the bad habit of rushing into everything way too fast. Too many promises that I didn't ever know if I could keep. Whether or not Blake and I will be together forever (let's hope so, but heavens to betsy people die and/or get divorced every day now), but that doesn't mean that we can't be happy and live life to the fullest while we ARE together. I'm ready. We're ready. Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment